Worried about the climate emergency? Joining a group is the first, most important step you can take. You will meet people who share your concerns and who will welcome your help in protecting our future. Of course - we would love you to join us at Darebin Climate Action Now. There are, however, many other groups, both within and outside Darebin doing great work. Why not do some exploring and find a group that suits you best? Then scroll down the page for some ideas on actions you can take.
Join a Group
DCAN supporters handing out information on Merri Creek
- Darebin Climate Action Now: That's us! We are an independent group of local citizens campaigning for a safe climate future. You can also follow us on Facebook.
- Transition Darebin: Part of the worldwide Transition Network, working towards creating a re-localised and resilient Darebin.
- StopAdani Cooper: Local group campaigning to stop one of the world’s largest coal mines.
- ACF Community Darebin: The local Australian Conservation Foundation group standing up for our reefs, rivers, forests and wildlife.
- NUCA (Neighbours United for Climate Action): Bring their local neighbourhoods together to protect our planet. RezNUCA: Reservoir neighbours taking action.
- Australian Parents for Climate Action: A voice for parents, grandparents and carers of children campaigning for action on climate change.
- Extinction Rebellion: A worldwide, non-violent direct action climate movement. Join a local ([email protected]) youth, family or forest group.
- Climate for Change: Helping people to have better discussions with their friends, family and neighbours.
- Friends of the Earth (Melbourne): Working for a socially equitable and environmentally sustainable future.
- Environment Victoria: Campaigning to solve the climate crisis and build a thriving sustainable society.
- Australian Religious Response to Climate Change: A multi-faith network of people committed to taking action on climate change.
- School Strike for Climate: School students campaigning for action on climate change.
- Climate Choir Melbourne: A group of singers campaigning about climate change through singing. All voices welcome!
Find more groups here.
Things to do
DCAN supporters taking action outside Preston Commonwealth Bank
- Write to the Prime Minister and your local MP: Climate for Change provides great tips and current information to help write a great letter.
- Learn more about the climate emergency – read the booklet Don't Mention the Emergency?
- Subscribe to Sustainable Darebin – a monthly newsletter from Darebin Council and join the Facebook Group
- Attend an event - find out what’s on and where here.
- Change your diet - less red meat, more local produce, less waste
- Pressure your bank or superannuation fund to withdraw investments from companies mining or selling fossil fuels.
- Install solar panels – see how Darebin Council’s solar savers program can help. Also see what's on offer from the Victorian State Government.
- Switch to public transport and tell your friends and colleagues why - find 101 more ideas here.